I ran out of Thieves cough drops – these are a family favorite! Sadly they are also out of stock at the moment, but I needed a solution so I attempted to make my own cough drops. First they taste great, are made with wholesome ingredients, but not sure I will ever make these again. It’s just simpler to buy a few bags of Thieves cough drops to be honest.
What I love about making them? I had all the ingredients on hand, they are made with simple ingredients and carry the support of Peppermint, Lemon, and Thieves Young Living Vitality essential oils.
What I did not like about making these? They are super messy…I mean seriously I had to boil 2 pans of water to clean up everything, you definitely need a baster to make these look good and to have accurate sizing plus a silicone candy mold would have been super helpful to have for making these as well.
What you will need to make your own:
- 1 teabag Oola Unwind tea or your favorite
- 1 teabag other tea (I used Yogi Bedtime)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ¾ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup honey
- Thieves vitality, Lemon vitality, and Peppermint Vitality (10 drops Each)
- In sauce pan steep teas, cinnamon, and ginger in boiling water for 10 minutes or more.
- Remove tea bags.
- Add honey.
- Heat over medium – high heat until mixture begins to boil.
- Clip candy thermometer to the side of your pan.
- Continue boiling until mixture reaches 300º.
- Watch carefully, it is really easy to burn when it gets this hot!
- Let mixture cool for 5 minutes, until it starts to get syrupy.
- At this point you can add essential oils.
- Fill rubber end of baster with mixture, gently push end of baster into rubber piece. Use baster to work quickly to make 1 inch drops on parchment paper.
- Dust with potato starch or tapioca starch to absorb condensation and prevent them from sticking together in storage.
- Store in an airtight container.
Use as needed to soothe throats.