Making the Switch doesn’t have to be a smelly one! I have been making my own deodorant for 2 years now. But when I made the switch I didn’t know there may be a detox period so I thought the deodorant wasn’t working, but it wasn’t the deoderant it was my body getting rid of all the chemicals I had been putting on it!! 😲
So let me me share with you what I have learned. When you are going from store bought deodorant to all natural there is sometimes a detox period that we must go though. So when you have been using deodorant that contains chemicals and begin using an all natural one here are some tips to help the transition! After doing a armpit detox I have noticed that I just don’t smell, in fact many days I don’t even need deodorant although when I am going to be out in the summer heat, out of the house for the day or when I go running I do apply because no one wants to stink like BO!
Read on for how to detox and 2 DIY deodorant recipes!
Detox your pits! through trial and error and lots of research I found a great way to do this from Wellness Mama. (I just love her)
You’ll just need bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar and water.
This is the bentonite clay I use: https://www.amazon.com/Aztec-Secret-Indi…/…/ref=sr_1_7_s_it…
I use braggs apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon bentonite clay
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons of water (to get right consistency)
1. Mix all of the ingredients in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until about the consistency of sour cream.
2. Spread in an even layer over the armpits and allow to sit for 5-20 minutes. I suggest starting slowly and working up to a longer period of time once you see how your body adjust. If it hurts at all, remove immediately.
(This may cause some redness as it will increase blood-flow to the area, but it will go away quickly.)
3. Wash off in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth.
4. Repeat daily or as needed until under-arm odor goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating.
Also, make sure to drink a lot of water any time you stimulate lymph flow (dry brushing, massage, detox, etc) to help flush the body and avoid getting dehydrated.
The deodorant I use:
1 tbs baking soda
2 tbs kaolin clay
3 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs shea butter
1 tbs arrowroot
1 tbs beeswax
1 tbs rosehip (can use sweet almond or grapeseed)
20 drops Purification, 10 drops Lavender & Cypress (or you can use 20 drops purification and 10 lavender)
1. combine shea butter, beeswax and coconut oil in double broiler (or use a large glass measuring cup in pan of boiling water)
2. Remove from heat when all is melted.
3. combine baking soda, kaolin clay, and arrowroot to melted shea butter, coconut oil, and beeswax. Mix well.
4. in a separate bowl mix rosehip and essential oils.
5. combine rosehip/essential oil mix to deoderant base mix. Stir well.
6. pour into containers and allow to cool completely before use.
**If you need additional support while detoxing use one drop of purification to each armpit before applying this deodorant or other natural deodorants.
The deodorant my son likes and is a SUPER easy option for natural deodorant: make a 5ml roller bottle with jojoba or grapeseed oil + 20 drops of Purification
Not into DIY no problem!! Young Living has deodorant as well!!
Here is links to the ingredients I use to make my own.
- Kaolin clay I use: https://www.amazon.com/East-and-West-Kaolin-Po…/…/B001K2HY74
- Arrowroot powder: https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Arrowroot-Powd…/…/ref=sr_1_1…
- Shea butter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM35FYE/ref=sxr_rr_xsim_1_s_it…
- Beeswax: https://www.amazon.com/Beesworks-1lb-Pes…/…/ref=sr_1_4_s_it…
- Rosehip Oil: https://www.amazon.com/Radha-Beauty-Rosehip-O…/…/ref=sr_1_3…