I love Thieves laundry soap but I wanted to create a DIY option because I want everyone to have the option to switch and although Thieves Laundry soap is affordable when we are living on a budget and trying to make better choices for our health some would rather allocate less money to laundry soap and more money to supplements, personal care, and so forth. With that said I wanted to create one that didn’t have toxins in the ingredients but would be very budget friendly.
I found a few recipes (you can see on my previous post DIY Natural Laundry ) but wondered if I could come up with something a little better for those wanting something simple and yet packed a cleaning punch….I’m just so excited I have made a laundry soap that’s non toxic, smells great, cleans everything from sweaty clothes to dog beds, and get this… it cost just $3.29 for 100 loads of laundry 🤩
My Natural DIY Laundry Soap Recipe
Thieves Household Cleaner $1.20
Kirk’s Bar Castile Soap $1.13
Super Washing Soda $0.64
Baking Soda $0.32
TOTAL:: $3.29 (3 cents per load)
Makes 50 oz (will do 100 loads of laundry)
Use 1 TBSP per load in with laundry. (not in your dispenser of washer)
What you will need::
Blender or food processor
container to store soap
3 capfuls Thieves Household Cleaner
1 bar Kirks Castile soap or Thieves bar soap
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1 cup Baking soda
4 cups water
Essential oils of choice
1. Chop bar soap into pieces
2. Place 4 cups water in large pan on medium high heat and add chopped soap.
3. When soap is completely melted, slowly add washing soda and baking soda 1/2 cup at a time, stir until dissolved.
4. Remove pan from heat and add liquid to a blender or food processor then add 3 capfuls of Thieves Household cleaner and essential oils of choice (I used 15 drops Eucalyptus Radiata and 20 drops Lavender) and blend well. (I use pulse on blender)
5. Once everything is mixed pour liquid into container (I use two 4 cup pyrex glass bowls with lids)
6. Allow laundry soap to set for 24 hours
7. OPTIONAL:: if you want more of a cream after soap has set place soap into blender (one container at a time) and add 1/2 cup of water, blend well and add cream back into your storage bowl.
I use one tbsp measuring spoon and scoop 1 heaping tbsp into washer on top of laundry. I have an HE washer. 😉
Not sure what Thieves household cleaner is?? Check out my post on thieves household cleaner
For the dryer I use wool dryer balls with 2 drops on each dryer ball (I use 6 balls). I have to reapply essential oil to dryer balls about every 5-6 loads.
Amazon is where I got my dryer balls and they have a variety of wool dryer balls but Wal-Mart carries them as well if you want a one stop online shopping experience.
Want to learn more about Thieves household cleaner? Let’s talk! I would love to connect with you.