I have been traditional deodorant free for more than a year now. I have been making my own pit paste, a version of primal paste but at the fraction of the cost. My previous recipe used beeswax and baking soda which worked awesome but I couldn’t use it without a little irritation after shaving.
I Revised my pit paste, recipe below. I removed the beeswax and baking soda. Some found the baking soda too abrasive. This one is made with Shea butter, coconut oil, arrowroot, kaolin clay, and essential oils.
- Essential Oils: I used lavender for its skin loving and a Young Living’s blend called purification for the stink elimination.
- Shea butter will not only heal pits, make them softer, help to keep paste solid but will also soften hair for less frequent shaving.
- Coconut oil for its awesomeness for skin & is the base for this.
- Kaolin clay is gentle and amazing for sensitive skin.
Glides on smooth, no staining, lasts all day, aluminum free all natural protection.
all natural deodorant. non-abrasive.
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup shea butter
1/2 cup arrowroot
1/2 cup kaolin clay
and essential Oils..I use purification and lavender 12 drops each.
1. Melt shea butter in double broiler. (or your can use a mason jar or large measuring glass cup and place in a pan of water)
2. While Shea butter is melting, mix softened coconut oil with powders. (if yours is not soft may need to warm it up a little, but don’t melt it all the way)
3. Once shea butter is melted mix with coconut oil mixture that you have prepared. mix well.
4. Add complete mix to freezer for about 15 min, until edges are solid and center is liquid.
5. Remove from freezer and get out your mixer and add essential oils to mix.
6. Blend all until whipped into a paste. Store in 4 oz glass jar.
Links where I purchased some of my supplies:
Kaolin clay: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K2HY74/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Shea Butter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM35FYE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1
Arrowroot and coconut oil I purchased at local food store, but you can also find these on amazon.
NOTE: When switching from chemical filled antiperspirants to natural deodorant, you may experience a very sensitive detox period. Some people experience rashes in their armpits and even some pain, though this severe of a reaction is uncommon. If you experience a painful rash due to detoxification, you can use aloe vera gel to help soothe skin during this detox period.
Price Break Down:
Shea Butter 1lb (16oz) @ $8.99 (.56 per oz)
Kaolin Clay 1 Pound @ $9.00 (.56 per oz)
Arrowroot powder 16oz @ $4.49 (.28 per oz)
Coconut Oil 56oz @ $14.98 (.26 per oz)
Lavender EO 15ml @ .9 cents per drop
Purification EO 15ml @ .7 cents per drop
2 oz shea butter = $1.12
2 oz Kaolin clay = $1.12
2 oz arrowroot = $.56
2 oz coconut oil = $.52
12 drops lavender = $1.08
12 drops purification = $.84
A little goes a long way, just need a pea size amount. This 4 oz jar will last months for both my husband and I.
Wishing you a great day and thanks for reading!